NORTH UIST HOLIDAY COTTAGE
A fully modernised traditional croft house with stunning sea views towards St Kilda, standing in half an acre of mown grass field.
On an elevated position with spectacular views all around and the prospect of wonderful sunsets over the sea. Accessed by a dedicated fenced gravel track suitable for cars/4×4 vehicles.
Haskeir Cottage sleeps 2 in one double bedroom upstairs. The cottage is finished to a very high standard and extensively equipped to provide an ideal base to explore the beautiful Outer Hebrides. All towels and linen are provided as well as utilities (gas, electricity)
The owners live locally so will be on hand should you need any help or advice.
Features in detail:
- Oil fired central heating throughout
Kitchen with range gas hob/single electric fan oven, larder fridge, small chest freezer, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, microwave, with a good range of cooking and baking equipment.
Living dining area with 2 two seater leather sofas, leather arm chair, wifi, TV with freeview satellite, internet radio with USB port, table and 4 chairs. Electric log effect stove.
Snug with sofa and casual chair.
Utility room/downstairs toilet with washing machine, separate tumble drier, ironing board and iron.
Main bedroom is a mezzanine with standard double bed and views looking out to sea. Small second room for storage.
Large modern bathroom with bath, walk in shower, heated towel rail
- Outside there is a picnic table and a bench with views of the sea and St Kilda, washing line, a shed for bike storage, and about half an acre of mown field, fenced and gated. There is ample parking.
- The double bedroom is a mezzanine upstairs.
- The property is furnished and well equipped.
- Due to the croft house layout there is no hanging space upstairs but plenty of drawer storage, with hooks for coats downstairs.
- The sloping ceilings upstairs may present difficulties for tall people!
- As it is an old property it has not been modified for disabled access.
- The property is surrounded by fields with sheep and cattle and has a stock proof fence topped with barbed wire.
- The property is no smoking both inside and outside.
- No dogs or other pets.
- The WiFi uses a satellite broadband link which means it is fast but has a data transfer limit. Free weekly usage is restricted to 6GB which is suitable for internet browsing and emails.
- There is no mobile phone signal at the property due to the location. A signal is obtainable close by.
- A hairdryer is not provided.
HOW TO FIND US
Haskeir Cottage is located in Balemartin, Isle of North Uist, HS6 5DQ, map reference NF725735. Balemartin is on the A865 circular road round the Isle of North Uist on the north west coast.
Due to its location it is expected guests will have a car. The main travel routes to the Isle of North Uist are:
Ferry : Uig Skye to Lochmaddy Isle of North Uist or coming to Berneray from Leverburgh, Harris or to Lochboisdale, Isle of South Uist from either Mallaig or Oban. See www.calmac.co.uk for ferry timetables and reservations. It is recommended that ferry reservations are made when accommodation is booked if possible as the ferries can become fully booked in the summer months
Airplane to Benbecula airport (from Glasgow). Car hire can be arranged in advance to allow vehicle collection at the airport. See the Benbecula Airport website for car hire options . You are advised to book your vehicle in advance of arrival.
From Lochmaddy: There are 2 options that are a similar distance. The A867 to Clachan, then the A865 north (turn right) to Balemartin (17.4 miles) or the A865 northwards following the coastal road via Sollas to Balemartin (16.5 miles). The route via Clachan is normally quicker. Clachan to Balemartin is 9 miles.
From Berneray: The B893 until it joins with the A865, turn right and follow the A865 to Balemartin (17 miles).
From Balivanich, Benbecula: The B892 north until it joins the A865, turn left going north and follow the A865 to Clachan, Isle of North Uist. Carry on north on the A865 (do not turn right at Clachan) and continue to Balemartin (19.4 miles).
From the Isle of South Uist: Follow the A865 north to Clachan., Isle of North Uist. Carry on north on the A865 (do not turn right at Clachan) and continue to Balemartin.
There are signs for Balemartin arriving from the north or south. Haskeir Cottage is the highest house in Balemartin and can be seen from either direction. It is accessed by a cattle grid and a 100 m dedicated fenced track suitable for cars. There is a slate sign ‘ Haskeir Cottage next to the cattle grid.
The key is in a key safe at Haskeir Cottage. Full details of location and access code will be sent prior to your arrival. There is parking for 2 cars next to the cottage. There are external lights and we can arrange for these to be switched on if you are due to arrive in the dark.
CHECK AVAILABILITY & BOOK
Please use the calendar below to search for your holiday dates, then follow the instructions to book.
The availability calendar will only accept Saturday to Saturday bookings.
- Haskeir Cottage is available from Mid-March through to Mid-September
- Prices per week – 2019: from 16 March £490, from 30 March £560, from 27 April £630, from 31 August £560
- The property is available from 4 pm on the day of arrival.
- The property must be vacated by 10 am on the day of departure.
- Payments by BACS when booking is accepted. Deposit payable within 3 working days
- No pets and no smoking